The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which makes me wonder why!

I give you an extract from Wikipedia. (It's not normally the most reliable source of information but it beats my personal knowledge on this matter.)

"The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.

Other commonly implicated viruses include HUMAN CORONAVIRUS (≈ 15%), influenza viruses (10–15%), adenoviruses (5%), human respiratory syncytial virus (orthopneumovirus),.... etc etc. Frequently more than one virus is present. In total, more than 200 viral types are associated with colds."

Enjoy!
So that doesn't say it is a coronavirus

Social distancing is in operation her in ROI.
Even churches are closed for mass.

The link show a funeral in West Kerry (very rural part of Ireland).
There was no wake or funeral so locals line the street to show their respects.

Funeral in West Kerry

Yesterday the minister in charge of employment said she is expecting 200,000 people unemployed as a result of the corona virus.

Tbh, I dont know much about this, but I think I've read there are two strains S- type and L-type (makes it sound like a BMW)

There are, but they are so similar as to barely deserve recognition as separate strains - just two genetic "letter" differences, and one amino acid (S and L are the amino acids that have changed, nothing to do with serious/light). S strain seems to be the original one, L strain now outnumbers it 2:1. It's not yet clear quite how that relates to virulence and transmissibility, it could just have been luck that someone with L strain sneezed at a football match.

See this paper : On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2

Pretty much all the deaths in Italy have been of people with other conditions, which may reflect that the doctors are overwhelmed and having to play God with who gets ventilators. I'm not aware of any evidence that it's getting more virulent.

The "common cold" is not one virus, lots of different viruses cause symptoms that are similar, so the problem is not so much serial "mutations" of the same virus just that your immune system can't keep up with the huge population of different kinds of virus (although mutations are part of the story, more on a year-to-year basis though). Coronaviruses other than SARS-CoV-2 are one of the groups that do cause cold symptoms, but they're a small minority.

Last edited:
Dont know how much truth is in this Coronavirus UK: Man, 26, arrested for 'failing to self-isolate' and may be jailed may be its whats needed and should also apply to panic buyers

Note that's in the Isle of Man, whose governance is struggling to get out of the Middle Ages in some ways.

You don't need to jail panic buyers - the prisons have enough problems. Just say that if they are considered to have too much in stock, all that stock can be confiscated and donated to the vulnerable - and the definition of "too much" will decrease over time. So hoarding leaves you worse off than if you're reasonable.

Social distancing is in operation her in ROI.
Even churches are closed for mass.

The link show a funeral in West Kerry (very rural part of Ireland).
There was no wake or funeral so locals line the street to show their respects.

Funeral in West Kerry

Yesterday the minister in charge of employment said she is expecting 200,000 people unemployed as a result of the corona virus.
I had to stop watching it, so sad. It's a time for everyone to come together

Its at this point i will upload the official virus modelling work done by the imperial college for you all to read.
Its frightening, terrifying in fact. However in the governments defence, they are following it as precisely as possible to hit the minimum deaths and resurgance of infections

Attachments

• Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
    759.6 KB · Views: 61
There are, but they are so similar as to barely deserve recognition as separate strains - just two genetic "letter" differences, and one amino acid (S and L are the amino acids that have changed, nothing to do with serious/light). S strain seems to be the original one, L strain now outnumbers it 2:1. It's not yet clear quite how that relates to virulence and transmissibility, it could just have been luck that someone with L strain sneezed at a football match.

See this paper : On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2

Pretty much all the deaths in Italy have been of people with other conditions, which may reflect that the doctors are overwhelmed and having to play God with who gets ventilators. I'm not aware of any evidence that it's getting more virulent.

The "common cold" is not one virus, lots of different viruses cause symptoms that are similar, so the problem is not so much serial "mutations" of the same virus just that your immune system can't keep up with the huge population of different kinds of virus (although mutations are part of the story, more on a year-to-year basis though). Coronaviruses other than SARS-CoV-2 are one of the groups that do cause cold symptoms, but they're a small minority.

Thanks for the detailed explanation athumb..

Its at this point i will upload the official virus modelling work done by the imperial college for you all to read.
Its frightening, terrifying in fact. However in the governments defence, they are following it as precisely as possible to hit the minimum deaths and resurgance of infections
Thanks for that. Just printed it off for a bit of uplifting reading later on. I don't think.

Looks like me and MrsMQ woulnt have been that welcome in Cornwall after all

"The leader of Cornwall council, Julian German, and the Cornish MP Steve Double have asked people not to travel to the far south west of England

Politicians and doctors fear an influx of people to Cornwall from London and other cities could put pressure on the health service in the area – and spread the virus

"In an open letter they said:
It is important that everyone follows the advice laid out by the government to slow and stop the spread of this virus and do everything we can to support our essential public services, especially our NHS.
That includes avoiding non-essential travel.By anyone’s assessment a holiday at this time is not essential. So therefore, regrettably we are asking people not to come on holiday to Cornwall at this time.
We need to stop the spread of this virus and also need to protect our NHS and keep our supermarket shelves stocked. An influx of thousands of tourists in the coming weeks will put unnecessary pressure on our services.
As a supporter of the tourism and hospitality industry we fully understand the huge and grave challenges facing the sector at this time and why some businesses may want to take this opportunity to bring visitors to Cornwall.
However, this is first and foremost a medical and health crisis. We must not underestimate how serious this is and our first priority has to be to protect the public from this dangerous virus.
Please take all the appropriate steps to keep you and your family safe, and help Cornwall stay safe and well by avoid coming here on holiday"
This will devastate the county as a huge amount of income comes from tourism

Watch here - ‘I was dancing around days after having coronavirus’

5 Live caller 'dancing around days after having coronavirus’

A BBC Radio 5 Live listener called in from his hospital bed in where he's being treated for coronavirus.
Steve in London tested positive and has cystic fibrosis, which makes him more vulnerable to serious complications.
He says after a few days of feeling ill, he was up "dancing around his hospital room".
Well that's him struck off the disability benefit then.:rolleyes:

I think the main problem with Italy was when they stopped testing people who were presenting with symptoms and just told them to go home. They only tested people who had contact with known cases or had come from infected areas and were frightened of posting larger numbers as it made them look bad. Well it came back to bite them on the ass and now they have the highest figures.
America had adopted the same strategy at first of not testing anybody requesting a test even if they had symptoms - you had to meet criteria just to be tested, but are making a U turn on that. Obviously burying your head in the sand doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back