What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
amb3.jpeg

That murky pic proves little 🙂 , but the beer on the right is @Alastair70 's Amber Ale. I managed to find an old bottle of my effort, from some months back, on the left. Not dissimilar colours, but mine is a little more tawny and Alastair's a little more ruby. I remarked at the time I brewed mine that I was fairly pleased with my effort, but probably wouldn't brew it again because it's not really my favourite style. And now, tasting Alastair's?

It's a bit like mine, but better! :D In particular, the hops shine through much more successfully. Mine is much smellier has more bouquet, but on taste, the hops have it. And not just that, a better beer all round. Nice veining on the glass as I come to the end, too. So, a very professional beer indeed. If I was going to attempt this style again, which I probably wouldn't, I'd certainly go for Alastair's hop blend rather than mine (even though I didn't feel mine was disastrous by any means).

Last edited:
Today we visited a lovely little cove at Cagwith, visited a microbrewery at Porthleven, and visited a market stall selling beers 😉. Pictures are the cove, a picture of Porthleven, my clutch for today (interestingly including a beer from Attic brewery, organisers of the Opus hop brewing competition), and my stating beer (Lushingtons) for tonight.

DEEB7342-3190-4C01-891E-88C08E78B3DE.jpeg
2EEFB808-9BBE-4550-8EA3-3D53A4F8596B.jpeg

F1553BCD-04D6-4B4A-A1E0-99FD64CC9200.jpeg
0C63F693-A26C-41E9-8D48-7DB6874EC7E4.jpeg

View attachment 74868

That murky pic proves little 🙂 , but the beer on the right is @Alastair70 's Amber Ale. I managed to find an old bottle of my effort, from some months back, on the left. Not dissimilar colours, but mine is a little more tawny and Alastair's a little more ruby. I remarked at the time I brewed mine that I was fairly pleased with my effort, but probably wouldn't brew it again because it's not really my favourite style. And now, tasting Alastair's?

It's a bit like mine, but better! :D In particular, the hops shine through much more successfully. Mine is much smellier has more bouquet, but on taste, the hops have it. And not just that, a better beer all round. Nice veining on the glass as I come to the end, too. So, a very professional beer indeed. If I was going to attempt this style again, which I probably wouldn't, I'd certainly go for Alastair's hop blend rather than mine (even though I didn't feel mine was disastrous by any means).
Cheers for the kind words. I’m very happy with this as V1 of the recipe. I’ve been discussing hop schedules with @dave_77. The next iteration is getting a significant hop stand added, but otherwise the recipe will stay the same.
Glad you enjoyed it 👍

What's up with the glass...you got meat fat on it or something 😋
😂 Condensation! Looking at the picture has put me in the mood for another one!
What's it like? I didn't get that one.
Really good. Malt profile very similar to the centennial, citra is the predominate hop aroma but the mosaic brought a touch of fruit to the flavour. ABV 7% so a little less than the centennial, but still had the body and mouthfeel of a big WCIPA.
I think I preferred the centennial, both are excellent beers, and I’ve still got quite a few to get through😀

First try of American Amber (Idaho Gem, mosaic & Chinook). This one I have changed my approach slightly and tried to get it closer to style. Little less bitterness and used a S04 to try and get a little higher finishing gravity. Think it has worked. Only 5 days in keg so hoping will clear up a bit more. Nice and hoppy, easy drinking for 6%.
IMG_20220915_210047.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back