What equipment would you least like to be without?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Grainfather conical fermenter. Temp control is great. If I get bugger all else right, at least I don’t have to wonder about the fermentation temperature.

Drinking water standard compliant hose. Makes filling my HLT from the tap so much easier.
Just moving from kitchen brewing to my manhcave in the garage. Do I assume standard B&Q hoses are slightly less than desirable for drinking water? Been thinking to run from the outside tap (clean mains) but wasn't sure about hoses. Needs to be flexible. Any pointers much appreciated ta

Just moving from kitchen brewing to my manhcave in the garage. Do I assume standard B&Q hoses are slightly less than desirable for drinking water? Been thinking to run from the outside tap (clean mains) but wasn't sure about hoses. Needs to be flexible. Any pointers much appreciated ta
Something like this should do the job.
Screenshot_20221006-200234.png

Apart from the essential stuff, the thing I'd least like to do without is probably the counterflow chiller... speeds up my brew days by about 45 mins I think
This is top of my wishlist as I can't tolerate chilling with my immersion chiller. They're out of stock on Malt Miller at the moment though (I am too time-poor to make one right now).

Brewzilla 3.1.1 So much easier, and less to clean up, since moving away from the 3 vessel system, although always have that as a back up and would never part with it. Too many memories...

1 - Auto syphon with attached little bottler (bottling stick)

2 - Heat pad for winter months.

A quick few questions if I may,

The heat pad, is it worth getting if my house is poorly heated?

Will a heat pad by itself be sufficient to keep a brew bucket (usually wine) warm enough? Or will I need to wrap it in blankets or something as well?

Do I need a thermostat with a heat pad and what temp would you set it to?

Which heat pad do you recommend?

Many thanks. I appreciate this is quite a list of questions.

Will a heat pad by itself be sufficient to keep a brew bucket (usually wine) warm enough? Or will I need to wrap it in blankets or something as well?

Probably not the answer you're looking for but might give you something to think about.
Get an undercounter fridge off gumtree, an inkbird and a brew belt/pad/tube. I managed to get all three for about £100. Been a game changer for me.

Probably not the answer you're looking for but might give you something to think about.
Get an undercounter fridge off gumtree, an inkbird and a brew belt/pad/tube. I managed to get all three for about £100. Been a game changer for me.

Yes I noticed this combination of products mentioned elsewhere and would seem like a great idea to me were it not for the price tag.

I consider myself something of a budget brewer, hence attempting to achieve an acceptable temperature with blankets lol. However it occurs to me; if the addition of a heat pad is all I need to keep winter brewing this is an attractive prospect to me.

Yes my kitchen is currently at 18c and the FV of wine is at 28c (no controller)

No extra help will be needed to keep it above 20c even in the middle of winter.

No mine has never got above 28c.
(it's a 25w heat pad)

I bought mine from Wilko years ago they no longer sell them.
Have a look at the one below mine is solid plastic but these seem very popular now i like the fact it has a thermal cut out for peace of mind -

https://www.geterbrewed.com/flexible-heat-pad/
@Mr_S_Jerusalem

Last edited:

With insulation under and around the heat pad and vessel then you will probably be OK, off a concrete floor and out of any breeze.

Many thanks guys that’s very helpful. Reckon I’ll get one of them.

Oh yes I appreciate I just rammed my way into this thread, so:

The equipment I would least like to be without is clearly a brew bucket, also hydrometer (SO useful) and siphon tube.

Latest posts

Back