What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A green ipa from Pandora at animal kingdom in disney world, florida.
Yes it was blurgh and pretty tasteless, but it was green and its Disney (and it was 32c and I was dying of thirst)

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_160817.jpg
    IMG_20220413_160817.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
Ah right that explains it. I never get the 'I am quarter ....."

Just to clarify for you, his dad has a British mother and a Jordanian dad, making his dad half-Jordanian. I am British, so half-Jordanian + British = a quarter Jordanian. I think that's how it works anyway. He has a lovely tanned skintone, but my younger son doesn't have any colour whatsoever. Genetics are odd!

PS my husband now is not their dad, obviously, in case anyone was wondering lol

I’m preparing for a brew-day tomorrow because we have family coming round at the weekend and I’m going to need another Czech Pilsner after that.

While I’m sitting in the sun I can’t resist another try of my nitro-stout. It’s coming together very nicely (understatement) but I’ll share 1 lesson and 1 observation from the brewing and dispense of this beer…

1A6158CF-2764-44F9-9637-5E51C87857C8.jpeg

Lesson: I brewed this stout by overnight steeping the dark roast grains and adding the steeped liquor at flameout. This has given the stout a very smooth flavour but it also tastes a little raw. Next time I brew this I will add the steeped liquor with 10 minutes of the boil left to cook out that raw flavour. It isn’t unpleasant at all but the stout would be better without it.

Observation: I’m using 30/70 mixed gas (30% CO2) and to carbonate nicely like this has taken a month at 45psi. It’s also served through a stout spout at 45psi. I will do this every time I brew a stout (it’s that good) but you do need to allow time with nitro.

Lesson: I brewed this stout by overnight steeping the dark roast grains and adding the steeped liquor at flameout. This has given the stout a very smooth flavour but it also tastes a little raw. Next time I brew this I will add the steeped liquor with 10 minutes of the boil left to cook out that raw flavour. It isn’t unpleasant at all but the stout would be better without it.
I can't believe you are on the lash already, and I'm still here working my **** off getting shouted at by grumpy clients. Boooooooooooo!:laugh8:

On a serious note, I thought the aim with steeping roasted malts was for them to avoid the mash where they might add astringency, so why not chuck the steeped liquor in for the full boil?

image.jpg
I’m on the office today, with probably a dozen or more descent pubs in easy walking distance but alas having to make do with a coffee roll on 3PM (I work 7-3 on days I am in the office).

I can't believe you are on the lash already, and I'm still here working my **** off getting shouted at by grumpy clients. Boooooooooooo!:laugh8:

On a serious note, I thought the aim with steeping roasted malts was for them to avoid the mash where they might add astringency, so why not chuck the steeped liquor in for the full boil?
Oh no! I’m sorry to hear about your condition (working) ;) . At least there’s a long weekend and some nice weather to look forward to.

I did try late mashing but it didn’t go far enough in terms of becoming more smooth. I thought about coffee sitting in a jug on a hot-plate. The coffee is “mashed” and separated from the grain but still tastes nasty after stewing for a while. I wondered if a long boil might do the same with the steeping liquor and decided to try adding it at flameout. Now I’ve gone too far the other way but that’s fine, I’ve learned from it.

The flavour isn’t bad at all, I still want another! I just need another attempt or two to get the right balance.

Just to clarify for you, his dad has a British mother and a Jordanian dad, making his dad half-Jordanian. I am British, so half-Jordanian + British = a quarter Jordanian. I think that's how it works anyway. He has a lovely tanned skintone, but my younger son doesn't have any colour whatsoever. Genetics are odd!

PS my husband now is not their dad, obviously, in case anyone was wondering lol
I know how people work it out. I just don't get why people refer themselves in such manner. I was born and bred in Wales so I am Welsh. Although my father is Welsh my mother is french. But her mother is Greek. Therefore my mother not 100% French, so what does that make me?

Welsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back