What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started with my Golden Bitter, 11 days in the bottle now lost its sweetness from priming so tasting pretty good, nice head and lacing.
Onto my Ordinary Bitter, going bush for a few days next week, a slab will be accompanying me. Despite my wife's forecast dissension.
Reading about the new hops coming on the scene in the UK, (seems more like American hops) I do hope that the older varieties don't fall by the wayside.

002.JPG 004.JPG

005.JPG 006.JPG

Yes, I’d agree on price point point. Great beers, but knocking on the door of £3 a bottle. One of the reasons I decided to get better at making my own.
Case in point, I’m now having the last Weizenbock, way better than anything the local offie has to offer and, now I’m getting the hang of how to brew what I like to drink, nowhere near as nice as the next version of it I’m going to do.
View attachment 63279
All that needs is a flake 😂

The sun has just come out, so before I deaden my taste buds I’m opening this Cream Ale from @Alastair70

Beautifully clear, delicately carbonated, medium gold coloured beer.

Immediate first impressions were (you’ll think I’m daft) I could smell the quality in it. I get an aroma and flavour which I can only describe as a mixture between sweetcorn and blueberry, in a good way obviously! So much flavour for a lager!

Now you must bear with me as I’m not very good at this reviewing, but doing my best. Trying to do this beer justice.

In my opinion, it is medium bodied, and has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel - very nice and something I really enjoy in a beer.

I could drink the sh1t out of this - I’m cherishing every sip. Luckily I have another beer from Alastair for tomorrow!

Thank you so much for sending Alastair - we are really enjoying it and something we would definitely like to try ourselves. Please could you PM me the recipe over for some guidelines?

F53A3C52-12E4-4BA0-9FE5-EF0AB3ADBB56.jpeg

The sun has just come out, so before I deaden my taste buds I’m opening this Cream Ale from @Alastair70

Beautifully clear, delicately carbonated, medium gold coloured beer.

Immediate first impressions were (you’ll think I’m daft) I could smell the quality in it. I get an aroma and flavour which I can only describe as a mixture between sweetcorn and blueberry, in a good way obviously! So much flavour for a lager!

Now you must bear with me as I’m not very good at this reviewing, but doing my best. Trying to do this beer justice.

In my opinion, it is medium bodied, and has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel - very nice and something I really enjoy in a beer.

I could drink the sh1t out of this - I’m cherishing every sip. Luckily I have another beer from Alastair for tomorrow!

Thank you so much for sending Alastair - we are really enjoying it and something we would definitely like to try ourselves. Please could you PM me the recipe over for some guidelines?

View attachment 63329
Glad you liked it, thank you. There‘ll be reviews and a bit of recipe chat popping up on the January swap thread over the next week or two. I’ll get mine over to you, there is some flaked maize in there, good pick up!

Started with my Golden Bitter, 11 days in the bottle now lost its sweetness from priming so tasting pretty good, nice head and lacing.
Onto my Ordinary Bitter, going bush for a few days next week, a slab will be accompanying me. Despite my wife's forecast dissension.
Reading about the new hops coming on the scene in the UK, (seems more like American hops) I do hope that the older varieties don't fall by the wayside.

View attachment 63293 View attachment 63294

View attachment 63295 View attachment 63296
I don’t think the more traditional hops will fall by the wayside, there are too many of us (professional breweries and home brewers) using them. I think there’s a fair market in America for English hops too, I even heard cask ales are starting to make an appearance though few and far between at the moment.

We’re trying this one next! Didn’t know this was a Brewdog collab beer! We assumed Cloudwater was in Manchester but says brewed in Ellon on the can! Nice beer though, whoever brewed it!

View attachment 63333
Cloudwater contracted the brewing of their 'standard' range of beers to Brewdog and they all magically appeared in Tesco. Perhaps Brewdog had some excess capacity as I don't see them banging on about their sours as much now.

However, after the documentary on the shenanigans at Brewdog, the contract is apparently under review. At the same time (don't know if it's linked or whether the decision was made before) the beers will stop being stocked at Tesco and I noticed they were all reduced at my local Tesco about a month ago.

Inspired by the Tickler I thought I’d have one of the ’proper’ cream ales too, I’ve been working on emptying the Lupomax Revenge keg recently, I have a Munich Helles in FV that’s in need of a good home.
I‘m not smelling the corn, I’ll blame my post covid-nose on that. The adjuncts have lightened and rounded out the pale malt so it tastes like a big flavoursome lager (which is exactly what I wanted from the style) and helped with head retention. The Saaz in proper quantity really comes alive, I’ve never had that much dark berry/herbal flavour from it before (another good pick up @Tess Tickle) I wonder if the yeast choice, WLP090, has helped with that. It’s supposed to promote hop expression. Clarity and carbonation are good. I’ll be happy to post these off next week and see what others have made of the style.

48E28603-AC9F-4DD6-A400-ADCDB11457F2.jpeg

Add to that some electrical problem I need to get to the bottom of, get to the last 45 minutes and the electricity kept tripping off, clocked up the end of boil additions, sanitation and hopstand, still got to clean up yet!
I would say with the longggggg boil you have heated the mcb/rcbo and it’s thermal overload properties have kicked in 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back