July Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had 12 entries to judge for this competition, so a BIG thank you to all the entrants for sending their beers in abigt

Unfortunately posting bottles in a heat wave took its toll on a couple of entries..

I will say that I have not judged them all today otherwise I don't think I would be able to stand as most were quite high ABV. So I have been sampling over the last week which worked out well as there was quite a variation in styles.

Without further ado here are the top three:

First Place - Braindead - Triple IPA
Second Place - Zephyr259 - Vanilla Bourbon Stout
Third Place - MickDundee (Saison) and BREWERS DROOP (Sweet Oatmeal Stout).

Well done guys they were certainly some great beers acheers.

And a big thanks to the rest of the entrants athumb..

If there are no objections I will post all of the scores tomorrow and then start putting up the feedback for each individual beer (this may take a few days). Please be aware that I will try to be honest with the comments so they might not all be glowing but hopefully will be constructive. If you don't want your feedback in the thread then let me know and I will send it via PM.

Braindead - I will pm you tomorrow regarding your prize.

Congratulations to all and thanks Dads_Ale for organising the competition.

First Place
- Braindead - Triple IPA
Second Place - Zephyr259 - Vanilla Bourbon Stout
Third Place - MickDundee (Saison) and BREWERS DROOP (Sweet Oatmeal Stout).

Congratulations to the guys that placed this month & well done @Dads_Ale for judging 12 beers!

Looking forward to the feedback & I've got no problems with it being posted on the thread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Holy **** my first comp and I won. Thanks so much Dads_Ale for the opportunity and you guys for the praise.
Much appreciated

Here are all the scores.

I scored it out of 50 following a BJCP scoresheet I found on the internet. I will give individual section scores when I post the feedback.

Regarding overall scores the sheet says the following:
Outstanding (45 - 50)
Excellent (38 - 44)
Very Good (30 - 37)
Good (21 - 29)
Fair (14 - 20)
Problematic (00 - 13)

Please note that some members entered more than one beer and these are included in this list although only one was used for the top three places.

@Braindead - Triple IPA ------------------------- 45
@Braindead - Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout - 45
@Zephyr259 - Vanilla Bourbon Stout - -------- 43
@MickDundee - Citra Saison ------------------- 38
@BREWERS DROOP - Sweet Oatmeal Stout - 38
@brewhaha - Earl Grey Pale Ale ---------------- 37.5
@BeerCat - Hoppy Lager ------------------------ 36.5
@Honk - Lemondrop Lager --------------------- 36
@Jakeyboi - Columbus IPA --------------------- 35.5
@Braindead - Mango Ice Cream Pale Ale ----- 34.5
@Caolan - NZ Pilsner --------------------------- 29
@BREWERS DROOP - Raspberry Ale -------- 28
@Hoddy - Brett Saison ------------------------- 27.5
@Zephyr259 - Bock ----------------------------- 20

I will start poster feedback this afternoon although it may take me a couple of days to get them all out.

Last edited:
Oh dear , looks like my entry was one that didn't survive the heat wave, hope it didn't make too much mess?

Well done everyone else

First feedback.

@Braindead

Triple IPA. total score 45/50

Aroma - 11/12
Super tropical fruit aroma, just makes you want to drink.

Appearance - 3/3
Nice light gold colour with a trendy haze. Nice head.

Flavour - 18/20
Full body tropical flavour enhanced by smooth alcohol. Impressively drinkable for a 10% beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good body and carbonation. Very pleasant drinking experience.

Overall Impression - 9/10
An exceptional beer. Could be dangerous as hides the ABV very well. I would definitely have another.

Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. total score 45/50

Aroma - 10/12
Lovely aroma of bourbon and roast malts.

Appearance - 3/3
Jet black with a good head.

Flavour - 18/20
Great blend of roast malts, subtle sweetness and bourbon. Smooth alcohol hiding the 11% abv. Absolutely spot on.

Mouthfeel - 5/5
Carbonation spot on and a nice warmth. Nice body and smoothness.

Overall - 9/10
Exceptional stout and very easy drinking for the abv. A great balance of flavours. I want another..

Mango Ice Cream Pale Ale. total score 34.5/50

Aroma - 8/12
Nice balance of hops and mango although the hops did come through more. Also getting some alcohol through.

Appearance - 2.5/3
Orange/gold with a trendy haze. Head dissipated quickly.

Flavour - 14/20
Initial fruit and hops but this was slightly overpowered by alcohol harshness. I think I expected the mango to come through a bit more, it was there but the alcohol overpowers it.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good carbonation. Warmth from the alcohol. Nice body for the style.

Overall - 6/10
I think the alcohol masked the mango and the hops. I think it may have suffered from transit in a very hot post office van as the YouTube review said there was no alcohol harshness.

Feedback.

@Zephyr259

Vanilla Bourbon Stout. total score 43/50

Aroma - 10/12
Lovely aroma of Bourbon and roast malts. Didn't get much vanilla.

Appearance - 3/3
Nice and almost black with good clarity.

Flavour - 17/20
Bourbon really comes through but is not overpowering. Roast malts are in the background. Nice but not getting much vanilla.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good body and fairly light. Good carbonation and alcohol warmth.

Overall - 9/10
Very impressed. Nice and light and a real flavour punch from the Bourbon, but not overpowering. Didn't get much vanilla though.

Bock. total score 20/50

Aroma - 6/12
Raisin and alcohol coming through.

Appearance - 1/3
No head and looked lifeless.

Flavour - 7/20
Very sweet with alcohol coming through

Mouthfeel - 1/5
Almost flat with a sickly sweetness.

Overall - 5/10
Unfortunately the beer was flat and was sweet as if it had not undergone any secondary fermentation in the bottle. The cap was sealed so a bit of a mystery as you could tell there was a nice beer trying to get out.

Regarding your comment "Overall Impression - 9/10
An exceptional beer. Could be dangerous as hides the ABV very well. I would definitely have another."

I'm currently sporting a fractured wrist and a chipped bone in my elbow from drinking too much Jude Triple IPA.
Just didn't realise the strength, my mate couldn't walk and I stood up and apparently I just toppled backwards.

@Braindead Ouch, that's not good. Hope you mend up soon. Did you put your stout in a barrel or is it bourbon and oak chips?

@Dads_Ale Thanks for the nice words on the stout, I'm looking forward to having this on the go over the autumn/winter.

Shame about the bock, most of the batch has been fine but last week my wife got a flat on due to the ceramic top being cracked and letting it leak past the silicone at which point it was just as you describe, too sweet and lifeless, pity as the carbonation is normally good and it's got one of the best heads I've brewed. Might be time to retire the flip tops now I have a good stock of regular bottles.

Feedback

@MickDundee

Citra Saison. total score 38/50

Aroma - 8/12
Getting spice and wheat beer with some hop coming through as it warms up.

Appearance - 3/3
Nice haze with a nearly dayglow orange/gold hue

Flavour - 16/20
Nice level of bitterness with a slight tart/sour wheat beer flavour. Definitely farmhouse with the alcohol coming through as well but not overpowering. Get some hops as it warms up.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good body and carbonation.

Overall - 7/10
A very nice pint. Perhaps expected to be getting the citra a bit more. A lower abv version would be a great summer thirst quencher.

Feedback

@BREWERS DROOP

Sweet Oatmeal Stout. total score 38/50

Aroma - 8/12
Roast malt with a hint of raisin.

Appearance - 3/3
Nice deep black with a good head.

Flavour - 15/20
Sweet with roast malt and raisin coming through with a degree of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good carb and a pleasant drink.

Overall - 8/10
A nice stout and very enjoyable. Perhaps could benefit from a bit more oatmeal flavour.

Feedback

@MickDundee

Citra Saison. total score 38/50

Aroma - 8/12
Getting spice and wheat beer with some hop coming through as it warms up.

Appearance - 3/3
Nice haze with a nearly dayglow orange/gold hue

Flavour - 16/20
Nice level of bitterness with a slight tart/sour wheat beer flavour. Definitely farmhouse with the alcohol coming through as well but not overpowering. Get some hops as it warms up.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Good body and carbonation.

Overall - 7/10
A very nice pint. Perhaps expected to be getting the citra a bit more. A lower abv version would be a great summer thirst quencher.
Thanks. I’m surprised the citra didn’t come through so much when I sampled too because I used to 100g. It’s the first time I’ve ever used leaf hops (ordered them by mistake) so will stick to pellets I think.

It’s funny you should pick out wheat beer flavours because there’s not wheat in there at all (it started out life as an APA but I switched to citra saison when I won the time programmable Inkbird) - the grain bill was 35% Munich 65% pilsner. It must have been from the yeast.

Thanks. I’m surprised the citra didn’t come through so much when I sampled too because I used to 100g. It’s the first time I’ve ever used leaf hops (ordered them by mistake) so will stick to pellets I think.

It’s funny you should pick out wheat beer flavours because there’s not wheat in there at all (it started out life as an APA but I switched to citra saison when I won the time programmable Inkbird) - the grain bill was 35% Munich 65% pilsner. It must have been from the yeast.

I never had much success getting good hop flavour from leaf hops and now also use pellets.
I think the 'wheat beer' flavour does come from the yeast as I had the same with my Saison using MJ French Saison yeast.

Latest posts

Back