You're stuck in quarantine with only one group / composer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meshuggah, been leading the way in metal for 30 years.

I don't often meet people who have even heard of Meshuggah. They would certainly keep it interesting musically but wonder whether it's almost too heavy to sustain for an extended period of time. Demiurge is such a tune. I is a 21-minute masterpiece.

I by Meshuggah

Mine would probably have to be the Aghan Whigs - plenty of albums and varied enough to keep it interesting.

I don't often meet people who have even heard of Meshuggah. They would certainly keep it interesting musically but wonder whether it's almost too heavy to sustain for an extended period of time. Demiurge is such a tune. I is a 21-minute masterpiece.

I by Meshuggah

Mine would probably have to be the Aghan Whigs - plenty of albums and varied enough to keep it interesting.
They're certainly heavy but the music is complex enough to keep it interesting, they're a good band to play spot the time signatures with.

I bought an 8 string guitar last year and trying to learn some of their songs has given me a newfound respect for them. And I'm still in love with the Obzen album even though it's over 10 years old now. Bleed is one of those songs that changed how I viewed music and is still jaw-dropping today.

They're certainly heavy but the music is complex enough to keep it interesting, they're a good band to play spot the time signatures with.

I bought an 8 string guitar last year and trying to learn some of their songs has given me a newfound respect for them. And I'm still in love with the Obzen album even though it's over 10 years old now. Bleed is one of those songs that changed how I viewed music and is still jaw-dropping today.

Totally agree about the complexity. I love prog stuff and metal so they are probably up there as one of my favourite bands. Obzen is a classic - the Hertas that Tomas Haake plays on the double bass pedals is still mind-blowing for me.

Mars Volta is another really interesting band which you can play spot the time signature to.

Would love an 8 sting electric but probably wouldn't play it as much as I would like to.

A toss up for me between YES and RUSH.

With YES just about coming out on top.

the Hertas that Tomas Haake plays on the double bass pedals is still mind-blowing for me.
As if the hertas aren't difficult enough, combine that with the wierd not-quite-half-time snare/hi-hat polymeter and it becomes insane. I can sort of play most of the various parts on guitar, but I have to block out the hi-hat and concentrate on the bass drums otherwise I'm instantly lost. He will go down in history as one of the all time greats thumb

It’s stupendous! My favourite album of the 2010s, probably my favourite album from the 21st century so far (a couple run it close).
First time I heard them was Gamma Knife played on 6music on the Marc Riley show. I was blown away. Hoping to see them live when the world is switched back on.
I keep adding bands to my list of one band or composer... Led Zeppelin, Gong, Jethro Tull, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Psychedelic Furs, Stone Roses, Talking Heads, I’m going to stop now and put a record on...
Full marks for asking a totally absorbing and impossible question🤔

It is impossible to answer really.
I might have missed it, but I'm surprised we've not had Neil Young or Springsteen or Van Morrison or Miles Davis or Laffing Lennie Cohen or Elvis or Beatles or Jimi etc etc etc yet.

It is impossible to answer really.
I might have missed it, but I'm surprised we've not had Neil Young or Springsteen or Van Morrison or Miles Davis or Laffing Lennie Cohen or Elvis or Beatles or etc etc etc yet.
Ah I forgot Neil Young. And Leonard Cohen. And Van Morrison. Bloody hell, the Beatles... I need another piece of paper.

Band: I'd really struggle here! It would be so close between Yes and Pink Floyd (and indeed many others!), but I think I'd have to go with Floyd just for the sheer variety of stuff, from the off-the-wall Syd Barrett days through to the much less challenging (but bloody good) post-Roger Waters stuff.
Composer: I thought I'd struggle even more with this, but actually Shostakovich just leaps out. So much output, and such a lot going on. Could keep me happily listening for absolute ages.

To be honest, if I knew what the duration of the quarantine was going to be, I'd pick an artist/band I'd not much listened to but would remedy that and smash the back catalogue.

Beyond 'greatest hits' type stuff I've never gone deep into a few bands I like, so I'd go with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers or The Who. Or Creedence.

As interesting and enjoyable as this thread is, I suggest an alternative thread titled.
Your Significant Other is stuck in quarantine with only one group / composer

I just asked mine and the answer was amazing LOL.

Mid period Opeth, or Paradise Lost. Mind you I've really enjoying Jinjer of late

What about the later stuff? I thought St Anger was pants, but Death Magnetic is not a bad album at all.
Yeah DM is not too bad, but Kirk's lazy/ sloppy solos have me gnashing my teeth!

For somebody like me who has a pretty eclectic taste in music it's a very tough question.

Probably Orbital for the memories.

Close seconds (many)

Electronica: The Orb, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Leftfield, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk
Rock: Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Genesis, Queen
Pop/Indie/Whatever: Beatles, Blur, Bob Marley and the Wailers, REM

I saw them live here in Edinburgh when I was much younger, entertaining night(mostly due to the antics of my mate)

Ive not seem them live yet, there's a great you tube video of one of their gigs which gets me thru my night shifts :cool:

hopefully i'll get to see them one day.

Thanks for that Strange Steve. I wasn't taken by the opening but by the time it was getting to the end I was reaching for Dimmu Borgir (Spiritual Black Dimensions in particular) and resolving to hear more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back