Summer Brew and Swap - British Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparing my golden ale off the keg and the bottle conditioned comp/sharing .
At the weekend I had the first bottle conditioned one but it had only been in fridge for a few hours after moving from warm spot.. thought it had some unwanted phenols that I hadn't noticed in the keg beer.
Panic over ,needed some cold conditioning. Think some yeast might have been in suspension and throwing out some odd flavours.
They are the same🎉

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_173716.jpg
    IMG_20220712_173716.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
Comparing my golden ale off the keg and the bottle conditioned comp/sharing .
At the weekend I had the first bottle conditioned one but it had only been in fridge for a few hours after moving from warm spot.. thought it had some unwanted phenols that I hadn't noticed in the keg beer.
Panic over ,needed some cold conditioning. Think some yeast might have been in suspension and throwing out some odd flavours.
They are the same🎉
I must do the same later to see if there is an difference in taste.

Couldn't resist seeing how my latest Golden Ale is doing. 4 days in the bottle and tasting promising. Have done this mainly using bramling cross...I'm not sure I'm too keen on that hop😂. Will see how it develops. Definitely will be good for the swap👍

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_204738_818.jpg
    IMG_20220713_204738_818.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Just bottled mine today (no empty kegs) it’s a little bit lighter than expected and I’m really struggling to find somewhere under 25°c to condition them used US-05 yeast so let’s hope it survives and doesn’t throw any funky flavours !

My EKGoldy has been in the bottle for 9 days now, it's tasting fine! I think it'll end up a good beer, but I don't think it'll go bright as a button... I may have been a bit heavy handed with the dry hop so it will retain the haze I think.

My EKGoldy has been in the bottle for 9 days now, it's tasting fine! I think it'll end up a good beer, but I don't think it'll go bright as a button... I may have been a bit heavy handed with the dry hop so it will retain the haze I think.
There is your problem. Why dry hop a golden ale? There is just no need, you are trying to create a bright clear beer. Not good to dry hop unless you are going to crash cool down to zero temperature for a few days.

Most recipe's I have seen include a small dry hop. Again mine isn't clear like a pilsner, slight haze. Your right about it not being to 100% to style guide lines.

Most recipe's I have seen include a small dry hop. Again mine isn't clear like a pilsner, slight haze. Your right about it not being to 100% to style guide lines.
I am all for your bottle swaps, hopefully it encourages folk to get into some serious brewing. Dry hopping can be done but consideration has to be given about the clarity which is going to be achieved.

Hmm. I bottled a "golden ale" recently, dunno if its to style or will be golden or even if its any good! But,I wouldn't mind chucking one in...what's the procedure,deadline etc?
Cheers
Clint

Just went to keg mine and I ran out of gas half way through so had to use that pesky thing called gravity.
Managed to get 3 bottles as well.

It’s had a month in the fermentor and the elderflower taste has now mellowed but still a tad strong.. Just need to find a gas supplier now.

Hmm. I bottled a "golden ale" recently, dunno if its to style or will be golden or even if its any good! But,I wouldn't mind chucking one in...what's the procedure,deadline etc?
Cheers
Clint
Mine is very off guidelines. First brew on new kit with a new yeast and it's turned out more Belgian Blonde than British Golden. V happy to enter as planned or duck out gracefully depending on others views. It's a decent beer but it ain't Summer Lightning.

Latest posts

Back